Friday, March 27, 2009



Celebrating Jesus's Birthday!

In the midst of basketball season we prepared for the Christmas season. My cousin Ali bless her heart was up late one night helping me wrap presents for grandparents, great-grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles and two little boys. I think it was the night of my birthday.
Jacob, Ben and I went to go pick up Ali at school. We stopped at Culver's in Watertown for supper. Then we headed to Waukesha North for the girls varsity game. While we were at the game I took Jacob to the bathroom and noticed he had a rash on his stomach. We headed home and by the time we got home the rash was all over his body, from the bottom of his feet to his forehead. He also started to have a temperature. I called the on-call pediatrician and they said to watch him, it was probably a virus. The next morning it was getting worse, his pediatrician was on call and had us come into the office. Dr. Esser did a strep test, Jacob even thanked him for it. Dr. Esser said he had never been thanked for doing a strep test before. The strep test was negative, he said it still looked like a viral infection. He said that if the temperature reached more than 104 to take him to Children's immediately.
Shortly after we got home from the doctor Josh called and asked if I could come get him, the car would not start. I thought maybe he had something planned for my birthday, no such luck. That evening we hymned and hawed about going out to eat for my birthday like we had previously planned to do. We took the chance with our rash boy, not such a good idea. He threw up at Chili's. Let's say it was a very eventful birthday. My wonderful husband did get me an awsome cake from Sweet Perfections in Waukesha. There were 8 flowers for our 8 years of marriage and two roses for Jacob and Benjamin.


The weekend before Christmas we spent with Grandma Pat, Grandpa Tom, Uncle T.J. and Uncle Andy. It was Benjamin's first Christmas and Jacob's first Christmas with Uncle Andy. We were planning to come back to Waukesha on Sunday, Josh had a big conversion at work and was hoping to work a couple of day before we headed down to Illinois. The boys and I were also going to ride over to the airport with Grandpa Tom to drop Andy off for his trip to Alabama. However, the weather on the Sunday before Christmas was so bad that my brother T.J.'s car got stuck less than a quarter mile from my parents home. Needless to say, we decided to stay an extra night. Monday morning we caravaned down to Milwaukee, dropped Andy off at the airport and headed back to our house.
Josh and I then hymned and hawed about whether we should head down to Illinois late Monday evening. He had a basketball game Monday night, so I packed while he was at the game. I even put the boys to bed, we tried to transfer them to the truck without waking them up, however that didn't happen. As we arrived at Josh's parents house it started to snow. Normally it would not have been such a big deal to go down there, however, Josh's sister Trisha and her family were in town. We do not get to see them very often so that is why it made it a difficult disicion.
Jacob and Ben had a great time with their cousins Kaitlyn and Abigail. We were able to see Great Grandpa Toepfer, Great Aunt Donna and Uncle Vic. Jacob also got to spend some special time with Great Grandma Schultz. Kaitlyn got to ride in the front end loader with great Uncle Ronnie. Shhhhh... don't tell Jacob, he was at Great Grandma's with Papa and Daddy. We spent Christmas Day at Great Grandma and Grandpa Schultz's house with the whole family. Jacob and Kaitlyn thought it was great to open up their presents and their siblings. Ben and Abigail were not really into the whole opening up gifts yet. Ben did catch on for the last present, which happened to be one for Josh and I.
As I reflect on the Christmas season, I am reminded of the anticipation of the Isrealites awaiting their savior. Also the anticipation of the wise men as they traveled to see Jesus. It is like the anticipation of a child waiting to open a present from a loved one. As a parent you love your child and you want the best for him/her. Just like our heavenly Father loves us and wants the best for us. It is amazing to see Christmas through the eyes of a child.

No comments: